Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ministers are not Therapists


For the past couple of weeks I have come into contact with everyone from family members to loose acquaintances who want to unload all of their problems onto me. They go into graphic details about their struggles financially, relationally, emotionally, spiritually. As a minister, I feel like out of that list I am only qualified to counsel on one of those topics (I will let you guess which one). I know a good bit about the other topics, but they are not my areas of expertise.

People think that because I am a minister that I am a priest at a confessional booth wanting to hear about all their problems and to tell them to say some hail marys and our Fathers so that there sins will be forgiven.

Okay, so I understand that in order to be a minister that I am going to have to sympathize/empathize with people in their struggles in life. That I am supposed to pray for the ones that are having a hard time, and trust me, I do. My cry, however, is not for everyone to stop unloading their problems on me, in a way I consider that an honor. My cry is that people would not just see me as a free therapist for them. That I would not be labeled and stereotyped into someone that I am not. There are many people with many problems in the world, and I have my own as well.

If you are having problems I beg you, go see someone who is trained to help you. Don't bother your pastor because mostly all he can give you is spiritual advise. There comes a time when a minister can only do so much to help. Go to a professional, and confess your sins to God (1 John 1:8-9).

No comments:

Post a Comment