Saturday, February 6, 2010

Life of Trials

February 5th, 2010

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
James 1:2-4

Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.
1 Peter 4:12-13


For the past couple of days God has had me in the midst of some of the most hurting people. I try to disillusion myself by pretending that I live in a perfect world where everyone is okay. I try to stay in my bubble of security, but God knows that I have been called to the desperately broken.

I won't go into detail with names, circumstances and situations on this public blog, but I will say in the past 48 hours I have,

1. Talked to a homeless man at the corner of a busy intersection who was in dire need of food and shelter.

2. Talked with a man who is an alcoholic, and is still a Christian at heart.

3. Talked with a woman who is dear to me about her credit card debt and how her husband's wages are being garnished.

4. Worked with a girl who is divorced because the father of her child was abusive and a drug addict, only to find out she is back with him now that she is out of jail (another good girl who deserves better).

I have been thrown in the depths of human depravity and my heart is in despair. I cry out to God for these people, and wonder if things will get better. My faith is tried, my patience tested. When I see the trials of others that are dear to me it hurts. Does human suffering have any limit? Can it be stopped? I cry out to God for redemption.

This is a life of trials I can't live in denial, what we need is Jesus.

How am I to help?

No comments:

Post a Comment